Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
Thank You, Omu! (Caldecott Honor Book)
By Oge Mora
Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around October 2, 2018. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
Everyone in the neighborhood dreams of a taste of Omu's delicious stew! One by one, they follow their noses toward the scrumptious scent. And one by one, Omu offers a portion of her meal. Soon the pot is empty. Has she been so generous that she has nothing left for herself?
Debut author-illustrator Oge Mora brings to life a heartwarming story of sharing and community in colorful cut-paper designs as luscious as Omu's stew, with an extra serving of love. An author's note explains that "Omu" (pronounced AH-moo) means "queen" in the Igbo language of her parents, but growing up, she used it to mean "Grandma." This book was inspired by the strong female role models in Oge Mora's life.
A 2019 Caldecott Honor Book
Winner of the Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe New Talent Illustrator Award
An ALA Children's Notables List Selection 2019
CCBC Choices 2019
A New York Times Notable Children's Book of 2018
A Bank Street College Best Children's Book of 2018
A Publishers' Weekly Best Book of 2018
A Boston Globe Best Children's Book of 2018
A School Library Journal Best Book of 2018
A New York Times Book Review Editors' Choice Staff Pick
A Chicago Public Library Best Book of 2018
2019 E.B. White Read-Aloud Award Finalist
Jumpstart Read for the Record Selection 2019
- [*] "A memorable tale of community and the unexpected rewards of sharing."—School Library Journal, starred review
[*] "A lovely story of giving and community founded in Nigerian culture. Delectable."
—Kirkus Reviews, starred review
[*] "Mora [is] a major new talent.... Rhythmic, refrainlike...this sweet story of inclusivity, gratitude, and delicious fellowship is also a feast for the eyes."
—Publishers Weekly, starred review
- "A great choice...for introducing the concept of sharing."—Booklist
- "A joyous homage... Mora's art casually yet vividly reminds readers of the diversity we encounter all around us, presenting her characters in all hues while acknowledging multiple languages in various cut-outs throughout."—Shelf Awareness
- "[The illustrations] will have toddlers reaching out to grab them."—The New York Times Book Review
"Ideal...to use any time sharing is the theme."
—The Horn Book
- "All at once fresh and like a classic folktale."—The Washington Post
- On Sale
- Oct 2, 2018
- Page Count
- 40 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers