Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together
Illustrated by Michael Emberley
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $18.99 $24.99 CAD
- ebook (Digital original) $6.99 $8.99 CAD
- Trade Paperback $8.99 $12.99 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around May 1, 2004. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
Designed with emerging readers in mind, each of the tales is told in short rhyming dialogues–with each character’s lines indicated by a different color-to be used as a script for two voices to read separately and together. Using traditional reading teaching techniques like alliteration, rhyme, repetition, and short sentences), the text invites young children to read along, while Michael Emberley’s lively illustrations enhance the stories’ humor and high spirits.
Goldilocks, the Little Red Hen, the Three Little Pigs, and many more beloved characters star in these tales-with-a-twist that are perfect for early and reluctant readers, readers’ theater, and bedtime fun.
A 2005 Notable Children’s Book in the Language Arts by the Children’s Literature Assembly of the National Council of Teacher of English. Also chosen as a 2004 Gryphon Award Honor Book by the Center for Children’s Books.
- "These brief verse retellings are just right for you to share with your new reader."—Parenting Magazine
- "An exuberant read-aloud collection. Emberley's illustrations capture the liveliness of the poems beckoning readers to join in and relish the fun."—Kirkus
- "The energy never flags, neither in Hoberman's trademark bouncy rhythms nor in Emberley's exuberant illustrations."—Booklist
- "Beginning readers will be encouraged by the early successes they are likely to meet within these pages, to go out and conquer the mountains of written word that lie ahead of them."—The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
- "The content is as smart as the format, with fresh takes on old plots."—Child Magazine
- "Seldom has a potential play script been as delectably illustrated as this one."—Horn Book
- "The brevity, repetition and rhyme help youngsters develop reading skills -- all while enjoying the cozy interaction with another reader... should inspire frequent readings as well as a demand for the originals."—Children's Literature
- "Even seasoned older readers will love the parody... Emberley's clear comic- style pictures are hilarious."—Booklist
- "A wonderful read-aloud experience for two voices... a truly delightful reading ensemble."—School Library Journal
- On Sale
- May 1, 2004
- Page Count
- 32 pages
- Little, Brown Books for Young Readers