Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
The New Way to Rediscover Calm in a Chaotic World
By Danny Penman
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $29.00 $37.00 CAD
- ebook $14.99 $19.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
Also available from:
Based on Mark Williams's research into the therapeutic powers of mindfulness, and an extension of Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), Deeper Mindfulness continues the story told by Mark Williams and Danny Penman's runaway success, Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World. Where the author's previous book crafted the foundations necessary to live a happier and more fulfilling life, and has proven transformative for many people, many readers have asked whether there was anything more they could do to enhance their practice and resolve their remaining issues.
Deeper Mindfulness answers that question with a resounding, yes. it is possible to deepen the effect of mindfulness practice by focusing on what the authors describe as vedana, or "feeling tone," which targets certain core processes in the meditating mind. Over eight weeks, readers will learn to apply this practice to such unpleasant emotions and mood disorders as anxiety, depression, stress, and general unhappiness; when these unpleasant emotions evaporate, readers will be left with a calm space inside from which they can rebuild their lives.
- “This book walks you gently through the beautiful, messy process of being human, and teaches you how and why all can be well.”—Sir Kenneth Branagh
- "They’ve done it again! Read this book as if your life depended on it.”—Ruby Wax
“Williams and Penman nail it when they describe how we can run from life (and ourselves) but we’ll never escape. Deeper Mindfulness holds true to its name: the authors expertly point out how to identify those critical driving forces in our lives –feelings, and how feelings feel—but importantly have provided a pragmatic path and clear steps that we can take to leverage our minds to live better lives. Based in deep wisdom and written with compassion.”
—Judson Brewer MD PhD, New York Times Bestselling Author of Unwinding Anxiety and The Craving Mind.
- "This book is a remarkable combination of engaging stories, grounded scholarship, and powerful practices that conveys the power of mindfulness. The writing feels fresh and the meditations are spot on. As a clinician who teaches about trauma and meditation, I can also wholeheartedly recommend this work to anyone struggling with stress. It's a book I've been waiting for, could hardly put down, and know will benefit countless people in the years to come."—David Treleaven, PhD., author of Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness: Practices for Safe and Transformative Healing
“This brilliant, powerful, and important book offers a resilient inner peace for troubled times. Each moment is a tipping point toward happiness or suffering. The key is to experience life's pleasures and pains without getting hijacked by them - and the authors show us how. Their evidence-based approach is both simple and profound, structured and spacious, and practical and heartfelt. You feel their friendly calm guidance in every page, with gentle humor, many examples, guided experiential practices, and numerous effective suggestions. They take mindfulness to a whole new level, and bring you with them each wonderful step of the way.”
—Rick Hanson, Ph.D, author of Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom
- "This fascinating book is crucial reading for all of us, especially at this time of global mental health crisis. It is a valuable resource for anyone who is struggling with stress, depression or anxiety, or who simply wants to live a more mindful and fulfilling life."—Sarah-Jayne Blakemore, Professor of Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Cambridge; Award-winning author of Inventing Ourselves: The Secret Life of the Teenage Brain
- On Sale
- Jul 18, 2023
- Page Count
- 272 pages