Read by Malcolm Gladwell
Formats and Prices
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around October 1, 2013. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Audie Award Winner, Nonfiction, 2014
Explore the power of the underdog in Malcolm Gladwell’s dazzling examination of success, motivation, and the role of adversity in shaping our lives.
Three thousand years ago on a battlefield in ancient Palestine, a shepherd boy felled a mighty warrior with nothing more than a stone and a sling, and ever since then the names of David and Goliath have stood for battles between underdogs and giants. David’s victory was improbable and miraculous. He shouldn’t have won.
Or should he have?
In David and Goliath, Malcolm Gladwellchallenges how we think about obstacles and disadvantages, offering a new interpretation of what it means to be discriminated against, or cope with a disability, or lose a parent, or attend a mediocre school, or suffer from any number of other apparent setbacks.
Gladwell begins with the real story of what happened between the giant and the shepherd boy those many years ago. From there, David and Goliath examines Northern Ireland’s Troubles, the minds of cancer researchers and civil rights leaders, murder and the high costs of revenge, and the dynamics of successful and unsuccessful classrooms—all to demonstrate how much of what is beautiful and important in the world arises from what looks like suffering and adversity.
In the tradition of Gladwell’s previous bestsellers—The Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers and What the Dog Saw—David and Goliath draws upon history, psychology, and powerful storytelling to reshape the way we think of the world around us.
Praise for Outliers:
"In the vast world of nonfiction writing, Malcolm Gladwell is as close to a singular talent as exists today...Outliers is a pleasure to read and leaves you mulling over its inventive theories for days afterward."—David Leonhardt, New York Times Book Review
- "The explosively entertaining Outliers might be Gladwell's best and most useful work yet...There are both brilliant yarns and life lessons here: Outliers is riveting science, self-help, and entertainment, all in one book."—Gregory Kirschling, Entertainment Weekly
- "No other book I read this year combines such a distinctive prose style with truly thought-provoking content. Gladwell writes with a high degree of dazzle but at the same time remains as clear and direct as even Strunk or White could hope for."—Atlanta Journal Constitution
- "[An] important new book...Gladwell intelligently captures a larger tendency of thought-the growing appreciation of the power of cultural patterns, social contagions, memes...Gladwell's social determinism is a useful corrective to the Homo economicus view of human nature."—David Brooks, New York Times
- "Thought-provoking, entertaining, and irresistibly debatable...[Outliers] is another winner from this agile social observer."—Heller McAlpin, Christian Science Monitor
- "Outliers is required reading for boardroom and watercooler crowds alike."—Men's Health
- "In Outliers, Gladwell (The Tipping Point) once again proves masterful in a genre he essentially pioneered-the book that illuminates secret patterns behind everyday phenomena."—Publishers Weekly
Praise for The Tipping Point
"A fascinating book that makes you see the world in a different way."—Fortune
- "Gladwell's theories could be used to run businesses more effectively, to turn products into runaway bestsellers, and perhaps most important, to alter human behavior."—New York Times
Praise for Blink
"A real pleasure...Brims with surprising insights about our world and ourselves."—Salon.com
- "Intoxicating".Gladwell is an engaging writer and a first-rate tour guide.?—Thane Rosenbaum, Los Angeles Times
- "BLINK moves quickly through a series of delightful stories?.Always dazzling us with fascinating information and phenomena."—David Brooks, New York Times Book Review
- On Sale
- Oct 1, 2013
- Hachette Audio