General editor Laura Miller
Contributions by Lev Grossman
Contributions by John Sutherland
Contributions by Tom Shippey
Formats and Prices
- ebook $15.99 $20.99 CAD
- Hardcover $32.00 $40.00 CAD
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around November 1, 2016. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Literary Wonderlands is a thoroughly researched, wonderfully written, and beautifully produced book that spans four thousand years of creative endeavor. From Spenser’s The Fairie Queene to Wells’s The Time Machine to Murakami’s 1Q84 it explores the timeless and captivating features of fiction’s imagined worlds including the relevance of the writer’s own life to the creation of the story, influential contemporary events and philosophies, and the meaning that can be extracted from the details of the work. Each piece includes a detailed overview of the plot and a “Dramatis Personae.” Literary Wonderlands is a fascinating read for lovers of literature, fantasy, and science fiction.
Laura Miller is the book’s general editor. Co-founder of Salon.com, where she worked as an editor and writer for 20 years, she is currently a books and culture columnist at Slate. A journalist and a critic, her work has appeared in the New Yorker, Harper’s, the Guardian, and the New York Times Book Review, where she wrote the “Last Word” column for two years. She is the author of The Magician’s Book: A Skeptic’s Adventures in Narnia and editor of the Salon.com Reader’s Guide to Contemporary Authors.
- "A beautiful, enchanting book."—Andrew Sean Greer, The New York Times
- "An engaging read on its own merits, Literary Wonderlands is equally valuable as a resource for further reading and as fodder for arguments over the works it includes (and leaves out)."—Florinda Pendley Vasquez, Shelf Awareness
- "A beautifully illustrated guide to 'the greatest fictional worlds ever created.'"—Entertainment Weekly
- "Deep dive into the inner workings of your favorite literary world in this beautiful coffee table book."—The New York Post
- On Sale
- Nov 1, 2016
- Page Count
- 320 pages
- Black Dog & Leventhal