Go to Hachette Book Group home
Join the Club!
Use code DAD23 for 20% off + Free shipping on $45+ Shop Now!
How the Mind Changed
A Human History of Our Evolving Brain
Formats and Prices
- Hardcover $28.00 $35.00 CAD
- ebook $14.99 $19.99 CAD
- Audiobook Download (Unabridged)
This item is a preorder. Your payment method will be charged immediately, and the product is expected to ship on or around July 12, 2022. This date is subject to change due to shipping delays beyond our control.
Also available from:
We’ve come a long way. The earliest human had a brain as small as a child’s fist; ours are four times bigger, with spectacular abilities and potential we are only just beginning to understand.
This is How the Mind Changed, a seven-million-year journey through our own heads, packed with vivid stories, groundbreaking science, and thrilling surprises. Discover how memory has almost nothing to do with the past; meditation rewires our synapses; magic mushroom use might be responsible for our intelligence; climate accounts for linguistic diversity; and how autism teaches us hugely positive lessons about our past and future.
Dr. Joseph Jebelli’s In Pursuit of Memory was shortlisted for the Royal Society Science Book Prize and longlisted for the Wellcome. In this, his eagerly awaited second book, he draws on deep insights from neuroscience, evolutionary biology, psychology, and philosophy to guide us through the unexpected changes that shaped our brains. From genetic accidents and environmental forces to historical and cultural advances, he explores how our brain’s evolution turned us into Homo sapiens and beyond.
A single mutation is all it takes.
- "How did humans develop such a runaway mind? Joseph Jebelli masterfully illuminates the neurobiological road by which we arrived, and where it might reach from here."—David Eagleman, bestselling author of Livewired and Incognito
- "A slim, accessible and thought-provoking book...Jebelli writes with aplomb and an eye for arresting asides."—The Times (UK)
- “Jebelli ably demonstrates just how successful evolution's experiments with the human brain have been while it remains a wondrous work-in-progress.”—Booklist
- On Sale
- Jul 12, 2022
- Page Count
- 320 pages
- Little Brown Spark